Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Taste of Heaven: Part I

In case you didn't already know, I have an on-going love affair with Renaissance Polyphony. I remember the first time I truly discovered it, during Christmas break right after my first semester at Ave Maria University. I had heard the Chamber Choir at school sing a few lovely Renaissance pieces - that was what sparked my interest in the first place - and so I decided to go online and find some more of that hauntingly beautiful music. I ended up at a place called "Choral Treasure," which, sadly, no longer exists.

Within five minutes, I was completely and utterly entranced. I could hardly believe that such beautiful music existed on earth. I lay on my bed for hours that day, doing nothing but soaking up the music. I waylaid every person that came to my door, sitting them down on a chair in my room to partake of the musical experience, and intently searched their faces for any sign of the earth-shattering revelation I felt myself to be experiencing.

My family probably found my behavior slightly creepy. And I never did see in their faces what I wanted to see.

However, I was a changed woman. I had a new love. When I went back to school that Spring, and in the years that followed, I was blessed to be able to learn more and more about this beautiful, spiritual art form. The time came when I successfully auditioned for the Chamber Choir, and was able to participate in making this music myself. I cannot stress, simply cannot express how deeply I cherished every moment of music-making at Ave Maria, especially when we sang Renaissance Polyphony. I was delighted to learn in my studies that this was the traditional music of the Church!

Women's Schola and Chamber Choir became my favorite places to be. Whenever we sang for a High Mass I felt transported beyond myself, into the heart of God, supernaturally joined to the Church Militant, Triumphant, and Suffering, to all the ages and all the peoples of all the world, worshiping in spirit and in truth. My love of this music was what led me to love the Traditional Latin Rite. Truly, nothing can compare to the experience of a High Mass.

Two summers ago I was privileged to attend a High Mass at St. Francis de Sales Oratory in St. Louis, MO.  I will never forget that experience - ever ever EVER. At Ave Maria University, where I had gained most of my TLM experience, the priests and congregation were still "new" to that Rite and were still working out the kinks. At St. Francis de Sales, the priests and congregation have been doing it for years. Words cannot describe the beauty of my experience at St. Francis de Sales. The music was just what it ought to have been - it was the ideal. It did not seem to be a separate entity, but perfectly grafted to the Mass, stemming from it, moving it forward, making it breathe. Not once did it distract me from prayer, but instead worked to raise my soul, higher and higher to the summit of prayer, and slowly to set it back down again on earth at the end of the Mass. (I did not feel jolted or distracted by the music as I often do at the English Mass, which, sadly, does not feel as organic as the TLM. )* The organist must have been a truly inspired, divinely gifted individual. The organ's presence was continual throughout the liturgy, but never obtrusive. At every moment, it was just right. Triumphal, uplifting, meditative, mysterious, or tender in turns, the music of the organ added a distinctive beauty to the Mass the equal of which I have not encountered since.

Occasionally the organ music was punctuated by a beautifully trained choir, singing Chant or Polyphony, as was appropriate. I am jealous of that choir. The friend in St. Louis with whom I was staying was a member of that choir, and they are all volunteers. Volunteers who sing so well! Who can read music and understand how to sing polyphony! What a privilege! For weeks afterward I seriously contemplated relocating to St. Louis, just so that I could join that choir and attend that Mass every week.

I want to go on raving about it, but perhaps I have said all that my own words can express. If you ever have an opportunity to be in St. Louis, MO of a Sunday morning, consider attending Mass at St. Francis de Sales Oratory, and you can see for yourself.

* I am in no way condemning the English Mass. It is the Mass I primarily attend with my family, and it can be an extremely prayerful experience depending upon the individual's disposition. My personal preference, however, is for the Traditional Latin Mass. My prayer is that it will one day be more available to all Catholics, so that everyone might have the opportunity to experience this treasure if they so desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindness and courtesy at all times, please.